Fort Buford State Historical Site
15349 39th Lane Northwest
This well-preserved site is just two miles from Fort Union and preserves remnants of a vital frontier plains military post. Built in 1866 near the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers, it became a major supply depot for military field operations. Original features still existing on the site include a stone powder magazine, the post cemetery site, and large officers' quarters building which now houses a museum. Fort Buford was one of a number of military posts established to protect overland and river routes used by immigrants settling the West. While it served an essential role as the sentinel on the northern plains for 29 years, it is probably best remembered as the place where the famous Hunkpapa Sioux leader, Sitting Bull, surrendered in 1881.