The confluence (the junction where two rivers meet) of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers is located in McKenzie County. It was an important stop for the Native American tribes, traders and trappers, and was also a strategic military point.
The confluence played an important role in the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery expedition. They considered the confluence of these two great rivers as one of the most important places in North America. The Corps of Discovery traveled this section of the Missouri River corridor in 1804 and on their return journey in 1806.
The Missouri-Yellowstone Confluence Center, Fort Union Trading Post and Fort Buford State Historic Site are a short 50-mile drive from Watford City.